Our 10×10 challenge starts today! I generally take my time when making decisions, so I really struggled when it came down to deciding on my final pieces. But this is an experiment, after all. I’m trying my best to not take it so seriously, just go with my gut, and learn from the experience.
My three main concerns in the decision-making process have been:
- Nashville’s unpredictable winter weather,
- finding the right balance of pieces for business casual days at the office and relaxed work-from-home wear,
- ensuring that my selections will remain comfortable over my growing pregnant belly.
Winters in Nashville are all over the place — gloomy, lots of rain, a bit of snow, and temperatures ranging from the teens to the 70s. While I’m sure the weather predictions will change before the end of these two week, it’s supposed to be in the 50s to low 70s with some rain.
I work at the corporate office of a large company, but the work attire is pretty relaxed for a corporate environment. Between working from home twice a week and casual Fridays, there are just four days over these next two weeks where I’ll need to dress in business casual. When selecting my pieces, I tried to balance items that would be work appropriate for the office, but also comfortable for my work from home days.
I’m 21 weeks pregnant, and definitely showing. I have’t yet invested in any maternity clothes, so I’m hoping that I can make it through these next two weeks still being comfortable in each of the bottoms I’ve selected.
Some of the pieces were pretty quick and easy selections, but I went back and forth quite a bit with others. Pencil skirt or sheath dress? Hunter chelsea boots or slip-on Vans? And I hugely debated whether to include the jean jacket or add another top.
Ultimately, I narrowed it down to:
- 3 Tops
- 1 Cardigan
- 1 Jacket
- 2 Pairs of Pants
- 1 Skirt
- 2 Pairs of Shoes
- Plaid Button-Down – H&M (Similar)
- Crew Neck T-shirt – American Apparel
- Slouchy Sweater – Forever 21, Thrifted (Similar)
- Cardigan – American Eagle, Thrifted (Similar)
- Jean Jacket – Gap, Thrifted
- Ponte Pants – J Crew
- Black Skinny Jeans – Just USA Black Label, Thrifted
- Pencil Skirt – American Apparel
After spending some time stressing over the finality of my decisions, I realized they don’t have to be so final. If I’m uncomfortable in my skinny jeans halfway through the first week, I’ll switch them out for a pair that feels better on my body. No big deal!
Check out Bailey’s ten pieces, too!